Saturday, December 7, 2013

HBB Closing Ceremonies




We completed our second “Aider les Bébés a Respirer” course on Friday. All of our courses were taught in French. My oldest son gave me a priesthood blessing before my departure, and I am grateful that I was able to speak French beyond my natural ability—it has been 31 years since I returned home from my mission in France!

In the afternoon we held the closing ceremonies where, along with the Société Togolaise de Pédiatrie (SOTOPED), we presented the certificates to each of the 100 participants. Our team leader asked me to give the closing remarks on behalf of LDS Humanitarian Services/LDS Charities, since I am the only French-speaking member of our team. I explained that the motto of LDS Charities is “Strengthening Families” and that we hope that by saving babies through HBB, families in Togo will be strengthened. I thanked UNICEF, SOTOPED, and each of the participants and encouraged everyone to teach HBB to their coworkers. I explained that the equipment that was distributed was purchased with funds donated to the Humanitarian Aid fund by donors around the world—all this because of our belief that we are all children of God.
see:
 &


Next we took a group photo and then distributed the teaching kits and resuscitation supplies including the cleanable/reusable bags and masks to each participant to take back to the 100 different hospitals and health centers. (For further information about the resuscitation equipment, visit last year’s blog: www.congodoc.blogspot.com  see Meet "Neo-Natalie")

Following the course we visited the CHR (Centre Hospitalier Régional) Dapaong and an OB/GYN physician who works there (one of the instructors we trained to help us in our HBB courses) gave us a tour of the hospital. He is the only OB/GYN in this city. The hospital has about 325 deliveries including about 75 Cesareans per month. He personally performs all of the Cesarean sections and all of the GYN surgeries. The Cesarean rate is quite high due to the fact that it is a referral hospital for smaller hospitals and health centers in a 40 km radius. Any patient who needs a Cesarean in the area is transported to this hospital. My OB/GYN colleague is from Lomé. His wife and children live in Lomé, and he visits them when he has time off.

I wonder what it would be like to personally perform every Cesarean section that is done at Sky Ridge Medical Center? (We have over 100 OB/GYN’s who have hospital privileges at Sky Ridge.)